Stair sanding, treads and risers are becoming more popular than carpeting. Victorian and Georgian houses commonly have old staircases made from pine or oak wood under their carpet. Often covered with many layers of paint requiring painstaking stripping and worthwhile restoration. However, with the right experience, technique, and the right tools West End Flooring Masters guarantee beautiful stairs every time.
Step by step stairs sanding process.
- First, we make sure that all safety procedures, protection and dust-sheeting are in place before proceeding with pulling up carpet.
- Repairs and reinforcement for any weak noising, treads or risers.
- Stairs gap filling with shaving dust and resin.
- If your stairs, treads and risers are covered with layers of paint, we will use a heat gun and stripping products to remove the paint.
- Unlike sanding floors, there are different set of tools used to sand stairs such as round edgers, powerful orbitals, corner sanders and other hand held tools.
- Once the stairs and fully sanded and stripped, we will sand with orbital using a 120 grit sanding disc to ensure that the surface is smooth and pores on the wood are closed.
- We then have the option of either staining or sealing with clear varnish or oil.
- If you opt for staining, we will sample on your stairs a variety of shades such as light oak, medium oak, dark oak or designer finishing and white wash.
- There is also the option of staining the tread only and painting the riser – a trend we’ve noticed to be popular around London.
Examples of Our Work
Please feel free to call us any time that is convenient for you, should you need any information? We will happy be to answer any question and give you a professional advise. If you would like us to visit you, fill in the home visit request form and we will come to visit you free of charge.